3 Feet Tall in a 6 Foot World

Think for a moment how it would feel to learn a new skill that requires intense concentration while sitting at a table made high enough for someone twice your size, in a chair twice your size. That is something I think about a lot when I teach kids to sew. 

Kids need kid-sized furniture. Why is that?

montessori school where children are given a choice where to work, on 
small furniture or the floor - whichever is most comfortable to each child

When young children use adult furniture they cannot get comfortable. Their feet don’t reach the floor and their arms are propped up at uncomfortable angles.

a mom sets up a machine sewing space using child size furniture

In my experience they squirm and wiggle throughout the sewing session while they try to find a comfortable position for their arms and legs. 

They may try kneeling on the chair, or sitting on one folded leg while the other dangles down the side of the chair. Both of these positions can put little legs to sleep pretty quickly.

Get down to your child's level, and think about when the two of you sew together. 

What do you need to do to make your child more comfortable? 

a children's painting space that could easily be made over for hand sewing

Happy stitching!


  1. well my youngest is turning 15, she's my one that sews & she is bigger/taller than me! But when she was little I would put her machine on a childsized table with a small chair

  2. That's what I'm talking about Ellyn. As an adult I have short legs...too short to be totally comfortable in the one-size-fits-all chairs we all have. That's why I love my custom wheelchair. It's only a couple inches shorter than my dining room chairs, but that 2" means a world of comfort.

    Your daughter was very lucky to have such a thoughtful mom!


Blog Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)